September 14, 2010

Up at Lake Luca


Way up north on the edge of the wilderness in Minnesota, lives some of my favorite people on earth. I started visiting the small town of Bigfork, MN when I was about 8, as my aunt moved there and opened a dental practice. I fell in love with the land, the lakes and the lefse (if you don't know what that is---message me, I'll give you a recipe).

About 16 years ago when my aunts told me they were thinking about adopting, I was NOT HAPPY. I'll be honest, I was totally selfish. I didn't want to share my aunts. THEY WERE MINE. But against my advice, they traveled to China anyway.....and thank god they did. I now have 3 amazing cousins that I couldn't imagine not being a part of my family. Both Nikki and Kate were in my wedding 9 years ago, and a big deciding factor to go to college in Minnesota was to be close to my aunts and cousins.



Fast forward to now, where the oldest of my three cousins, Nikki, is a SENIOR IN HIGHSCHOOL (someone buy me a cane, because I feel super old). When Nikki asked me to come up and shoot her senior photos, of course I said yes. She's grown into a smart and beautiful young lady, whom I'm so proud to be related to.

Here's to my aunts not taking the advice of a selfish 14 year old. Congratulations Nikki, I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment